Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Eid!

On Tuesday, we celebrated another year with a lot of sheep slaughtering... This year, I had henna done on my hands the night before and slept at my host family's. We woke early and had cookies and such for breakfast before visiting the neighbors (for more tea and cookies) and then they slaughtered the sheep... Typically each family slaughters a sheep (or a goat, but here it's all sheep) to call to mind the sacrifice that Abraham was willing to make in the Old Testament. Afterwards, everyone grills up the innards and bbqs. They remembered that I'm not a fan of the sheep insides and they actually grilled me some chicken! awesome... I visited about 6 other families homes as well and think I had about 15 glasses of tea that day. I think I'm the only person in the country (minus our vegetarian friends) that has eaten no sheep in the past few days... Here are a few more pictures from my parents trip :)










My parents with my host family... me feeding a monkey in Azrou... me with my host family and the 2 new volunteers they hosted for training.... sight in the village of Tanourdi (Logan's site)... me and Taniya with our suitcase of goodies from America... the mosque Hassan II in Casablanca



























Lots of Love to you all as the season unwinds...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and a Merry Christmas to you! so glad you have had a good year, Laura. more blessings in the next! love from jersey!

Anonymous said...

the mosque - astonishing.