Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Arrival!

You should know that I ran the far reaches to get on the internet for you :) I climbed carpets and rugs to the roof, walked the entire hotel and there was a connection in only one room of a PCV. And then the connection wouldn'[t work on macs, only pcs. I'm on someone else's computer now.

Here is something I typed yesterday, hoping to send it earlier today...

So, our plane was delayed. Not because we didn't board on time (we boarded 1.5 hours before departure. No explanation, but we sat there for another hour after we were supposed to leave. Very strange. Was the Peace Corps testing our patience. About an hour and a half after we got on the plane, I was pretty tired. Anyway, we arrived late, so the rest of our day got rushed. We went immediately to the Peace Corps offices for a tour, to meet the staff, Sept 11 commemoration, and a very warm welcoming. Here we had our first glass of Moroccan Mint Tea. It was good! Not unbearably sweet!


Our tour was cut a little short and we hurried on to the hotel. After much bag unloading and room organization, we ate lunch. Every lunch and dinner is very good (they are some sort of mix between what we would be used to and what Moroccans really cook). Immediately following this, we had a talk about Safety and Security from an Embassy worker. We weren't aloud out in Morocco without having heard this. This put us all to sleep (didn't mention, but with ALL my MANY efforts), I again didn't sleep on the plane or the bus ride from Casablanca to Rabat (although I was a little closer to sleep on the bus). Then, the remainder of the day proceeded with much more talking. We received our handbooks, medical kits, more paperwork and information about medical staff etc. Of course we had more Mint Tea, but still, no one seemed to be able to really stay awake. After this, finally, A SHOWER! Then dinner and a walk around the block. Curfew was 8 pm, so that was a quick walk. We followed this by trying to buy Internet access in the hotel, but were told it wasn't working  shame. Now, I'm writing this email, so I can send it to you at my first opportunity tomorrow.

To explain the pictures: Family and Jesse at the hotel seeing me off, Jesse camouflaged into the hotel chair, Departing the plane!, A picture of a mosque from the bus window in Rabat, the flowers were the first thing I saw departing the bus to enter Peace Corps Offices (they were literally right in front of my face (inches) when I stepped down from the bus., There are 36 Peace Corps staff members for Morocco. On stage are the ones that were here today to greet us. Bruce Cohen, Country Director (in suit and tie) spoke to us for a while. He is an excellent speaker, very inspiring. I think we a fortunate to be led by this man.

I was amazed by the beauty of all this. The Peace Corps offices were gorgeous, with a large courtyard (where we were sitting), gardens, and beautiful buildings. One of the current volunteers told us not to get used to it. Grass is not an everyday site.

Now, for a little update from today...

First thing one of the other PCVs taught a yoga class :) Then another tired day of learning st. I had a rabies vaccination. The U.S. Ambassador of Morocco came to speak to us and he was also a really down to earth guy (these are the things that make us feel really important). After they let us free, I went with 10 others walking through the Medina (market) and to the edge of the earth (Atlantic Ocean) where I saw the most amazing 360 degrees. There was a beautiful old cemetary that stretched out into the expanse. The ocean, with rocky cliffs, the city and it's busy streets... And the sun was setting over all of this. The call to prayer began and I felt very happy to spend 27 months of my life in this country.

I received a card today from Angela, a letter from a woman from church, and later in the day I received a padded envelope from Angela with a cool art project from Tyler! How fun it is to receive mail.


a note about cell phone to family and such...
I found out that I will likely be getting a cell phone eventually. I'm just not sure if it will be sooner or later. It is free for me to receive calls from anyone, so I know it is typically more expensive to call a cell phone from the U.S., but if you find a good rate, you could call me anytime. and it would be free for me! Maybe the calling card that Vikki had gotten us before or maybe the skype rates? It costs a lot to call the U.S. from a cell phone, but I can get a phone card to call from landlines and pay phones.

I have lots of fun pictures to share, but it isn't working out right now, so soon guys! Post me some comments!

Love and Peace ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you got there safely. It sounds really beautiful there. The picture of Jesse blending into the chair was hilarious! I'm glad the mail is getting there, maybe you'll get more tomorrow too!

Kelly said...

Laura, I am so impressed by you!!!! I'm glad you got there OK and I wish you success and safety. It sounds like you're having a great experience so far. I can't see the pics though.