Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Next BIG NEWS!

Today was a very nervous and exciting time for us... We found out our Community Based Training (CBT) sites, the languages that we will be learning!!!, the other volunteers that will be in our CBT site, and the type of family we will each have for our homestay. For the next 10 weeks, we will be travelling back and forth between the CBT and Ourazazate (Seminar Site). For this first trip (leaving tomorrow) we will stay 9 days and then return for 4 before going again.

So, for the details...
I am going to be learning Dreeja (Moroccan Arabic)!!!!!! I am thrilled about this!
I have 4 other volunteers in my site, Brian, Matthew, Anna, and Amelia. We have Mina as our Language and Cultural Facilitator (LCF). She is amazing. Her English is excellent and I really like her teaching style. I think we will all learn really well. Brian in my group also speaks French fluently, so I kind of doubt we will have time, but if we do... I could try learning some of that too! We are going to a bigger town, Skoura, to stay and learn language and travelling to a small village by taxi, Gedarra, to do our technical training. For the technical training, we will be interviewing artisans (probably pottery in this case) about their business and products and seeing where they might need some assistance and then developing a project to analyze how they could improve their problem. Should be exciting! My homestay family sounds really great too. There is a mother and father, plus 5 children! 3 older girls, 18, 15, and 13 and 2 boys, 10 and 1! Also, the father is a teacher! I don't think I could have asked for a better match. Love it!

So, wish me luck integrating! I'm sure it will be challenging. L'humdullah It will be great!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you are learning Arabic! Yeah! What does L'humdullah mean? You should get a picture of the 4 other people who will be with you so we will know who you are talking about the next few months. Yeah! I'm so excited you got your assignment stuff already! That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

It is good that you will be learning Arabic (useful later too). Sounds like you are being fed well. They are transporting you around from city to city. You got a nice Homestay family. You will probably relate well to the 3 older girls. Working with the artisans sounds like fun, especially when you learn the language. They seem hospitable. Good luck integrating.

Laura said...

L'humdullah means Praise God, but what I meant to write was En Shallah, which means God willing

No, I don't really have my assisgment yet. It's just like a small project that we will do with this town over the next month. It won't be my final site.