Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Grandma, 1914-2008

She showed her love in another way
Applesauce and Spaghettios
Maybe she never said so
triple axle/double lux
She didn't talk a lot
But we knew she was thrilled to see us
coconut cakes and basement bikes
Maybe she was used to being alone
aluminum cups and perfect rooms
But the cycle of life around her
an unmade gingerbread house
Reminded her of her journey through
Even after forgetting
photo albums and tvs gone
Her love was there in a different way.


"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
-Kahlil Gibran

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really nice. What was the unmade gingerbread house?

Dianne said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful Grandma.

Anonymous said...

you are on my mind as your thoughts are on your grandma. the poem is lovely.

Laura said...

I thought the unmade gingerbread house would only be in my memory... :)

One day when I was young (probably about 10) Grandma was staying with us for Christmas and everyone else went to a party or something while she babysat me. I had it in my mind that she was going to help me make this gingerbread house, but she didn't want to and I don't think I ever got to make it... It was pretty upsetting at the time.